Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Starting to be a local

On top of good progress at work today, I was able to get schools setup for the family, as well as international crates for shipping, and credit cards and mobile banking. 

At one point today I'm pretty sure I slipped into a British accent for the first time ever, without even thinking about it, crazy. Only a sentence or two, but I heard myself and then thought, wait, how did I just say that.

Words of the day are dodgy, rude and cheeky. I think I've mentioned cheeky before, it's somewhere between trying to be funny, sarcastic and rude. If I were using my English, I'd say it means impudent, or kinda bold.

Dodgy means dangerous or unreliable, or I'd say sketchy. 

Rude is interesting, it means inappropriate or provocative more than it means blunt or inconsiderate. 

I'm sure you realised that Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here, but did you know that turkey is the official Christmas meal? It's literally the exact same big meal as Thanksgiving but it's on Christmas. And it's so fascinating that people go out of their way to say Happy Thanksgiving to me, I wish I understood holidays of all other religions/regions as well as they do here. Chalk it up as always learning, every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment